Are you thinking about becoming a foster carer?
If you have thought about becoming a foster carer with Key Assets, here’s everything you need to know before applying
Becoming a foster carer is the most challenging and rewarding thing you will ever do. It requires a lot of time, patience, guidance and love, but the difference you can make to a child’s life is worth every minute of it.
We understand that becoming a foster carer is a big commitment and that it can take some time to decide if it’s right for you.
If you have thought about becoming a foster carer with Key Assets, here’s everything you need to know before applying:
- Key Assets provides you with on-going training, 24/7 support, a dedicated social worker and an allowance.
- You need to be over 25 to apply.
- Foster care is full-time. You must be available to care for the child full-time or at least have a partner or support network who can look after the child during times when you are busy.
- You must genuinely like children—this is one of the most important things we look for. We have to be sure that you can show enthusiasm for the child at all times, even when things are difficult.
- You must be able to accept any problems the child may have—some children come from traumatic backgrounds and they may have trouble adapting to their new life and carer. You need to be ready to accept that the child may have some problems adjusting and be there to support them.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions, or for help. Key Assets are here to support you, 24/7.
Each state has slightly different requirements for applying to become a foster carer. You can find out the requirements in your state by visiting www.canifoster.com.au
To apply to become a foster carer, visit www.canifoster.com.au and complete the short questionnaire. If you’re eligible to apply, one of our friendly staff members will contact you to start the application process.
If you have any questions about fostering, please give us a call on 1800 WE CARE (1800 932 273).